Literature for me means.
1. A way of communicating my thoughts, beliefs, doubts, concerns etc with others – even with those whom I have never met.
Through my writings (especially the characters I create) I try to understand what is the meaning of life, which is the greatest mystery – being born or death? Why do people behave in such a way? What makes them angry etc?
In this analytical study of my works RUĦU DEJJEM TFITTEX – CHARLES CASHA – MGĦALLEM / GĦALLIEL, Professor Charles Briffa analyses in detail these concepts.
2. For me characters are more important than the plot and and as Professor Oliver Friggieri comments:
Casha writes about his characters with the love of a portrait painter.
3. I have written for all ages and as an ex educator for over 40 years, my writings were influenced by my experience with children.
4. The Prostitute Figure, as I call it, appears a lot in my writings for adults and young adults. For me prositutes represent the ‘victim of society’.
5. I have a hate and love relationship with the sea/water and this can be clearly seen in my poems.
4. My poems are short, easy to understand and most of them of a spiritual nature – sometimes questioning the concept of existentialism which haunts me a lot. What is life?
5. Back in 1967 I created the iconic character of Fra Mudest (for children) which is still popular among young and old. Fra Mudest passed from one generation to another.
8. About censorship. Asked if I am in favour or against the idea of censorship, I always anwered that for me there are two important factors.
i. the state has a moral obligation to defend the vulnerable (especially children)
ii. Authors should be responsible and reflect carefully on the effects of vulgar language, sexual descriptions, violence etc when they include them in their writings. Making use of such for cheap publicity is wrong.
9. If one writes for money, to win awards or to create a personal image, one is more of a businessman than a writer, but if one writes for the love of writing, to express his feelings, then, one is a writer.